Friday, April 17, 2015

Rogers IGNITE 250u Internet – INSANE SPEEDS! ** Updated 14 October 2016 **

It turns out that the new Rogers IGNITE bundles are the smokin’ deal of the century. I had the Hybrid Fiber 60 plan with the addition of unlimited bandwidth and the basic modem rental, which at the time was a pretty excellent deal as I documented ad nauseum here: http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2014/07/rogers-high-speed-internet-hybrid-fiber.html

When I noticed that the Internet packages had changed, I checked out the availability in my neighbourhood and found that I could get all the packages for the first time! AND the cost of the 250u package is actually lower than what I was paying already, since it includes unlimited bandwidth and the advanced modem rental already. And that modem is the new Rocket modem, which I have to say is the fastest thing I have ever seen.

So far that the 250Mbps is actually over 300Mbps …

I cannot say enough about this package … the price is right and the speed is staggering ….

What the heck are you waiting for?

(And yes, it’s not cheap … but the value is immense.)


19 April – Just in case it was a fluke, I thought maybe I should test it again … and …

Wow …


21 April – Noon time … just checking how daytime speeds hold up. Pretty well, I have to say Smile


13 May 2015

We had a major Internet outage yesterday, which turned out to be the cable burying crew come buy to finish the replacement of the cable from the green box in a neighbour’s back yard. This took about 20m and everything went back to normal, which is to say … amazing.

That is effectively a tie with my fastest ever result … and it cam in the middle of the afternoon when I tested to see if there was a reason for a long write cycle for a small bit of data on a mail server. Well, not at my end :-)

I can’t stress enough how absolutely incredible these speeds are. and for basically what I used to pay for 1/4 the download speed.


30 August 2015

After several days of difficulties, where the upload speeds were between 9 and 11, I finally got a good run with the Telus server in Toronto. The server in Kanata, which is only 5 miles from here, is a total dog. The one at Nexicom, which used to be my favourite, seems to have limits of 11Mbps upload … so Telus is it …


20 October 2015

It's been a while since I tested and I must admit that I am always surprised at how fast this service is day to day. Still loving it ...


27 November 2015

Both Kanata and Toronto are fast these days …


6 July 2016 – Mid day … the highest speeds in both directions that I have ever recorded!!

Rogers is not sitting on their laurels …


2 August 2016

Having problems today. Using the Telus site in Toronto, I can get good download speeds, but upload speed sucks on every site today. Will be calling them when I get a moment …

6 August 2016

The performance of our 250u Ignite is in the literal toilet. This is 10:36pm on a Saturday evening. WTAF?


The issue has been going on now for a month, of which I was away from home for 75% of the time. I finally had time to complain to Rogers at the end of last week. They sent me an email yesterday apologizing for a delay in fixing the issue. I tested the link today just for S&Gs and the result was better on the download side -- 330 mb/s and very quick jump to that speed, but the upload side peaked at 11 mb/s, which is about half what I pay for. It too was smooth in its acceleration curve, which is a big improvement over a few weeks ago. So here's hoping they get it together soon.


And finally, it is fixed as of 14 September 2016!

After 6 weeks in performance purgatory, Rogers has fixed my line. Note that they did not send a final email indicating that the issue is fixed, but I noticed this morning that web performance had low latencies for the first time in a while, so I tested performance using my favourite server (Telus in Toronto.) And the results are again magnificent.

The moral of the story is of course to test now and again and stay on top of Rogers to maintain their excellent speeds. If something feels wrong, it probably is.


Two weeks later, on 28 September 2016 …

Can’t complain about that …


21 October 2016

Still tracking the highest possible speeds. Looking good.