Wednesday, January 17, 2018

YouTube Sucks all of the Joy out of Creating Videos

One of the pleasures of YouTube is getting a few dollars for your efforts. I have been monetizing my videos for years and the trickle of money is small, but something that is surprisingly pleasant. It’s just nice to see a little bit come back for your time and effort.

But no more. Small channels like mine are being completely shut out as the threshold is now 1000 subscribers (I have about 450) and 4,000 hours of watch time in the past year (I had 3950 in the last 365 days!!!).

They gave me 30 days to more than double my subscribers and increase watch time just enough to get 4000 hours. I can do the latter, but the former is essentially impossible.

So Google and YouTube have taken all the fun out of growing a channel. The little bit of reinforcement you get every month is gone.

What were they thinking?