Monday, March 7, 2011

Heavy Snow overnight on Saturday -- F300EXR

Kris Kristofferson said it best:

Well I woke up Sunday morning,
With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
So I had one more for dessert.
Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes,
And found my cleanest dirty shirt.
An' I shaved my face and combed my hair,
An' stumbled down the stairs to meet the day.

Well, my Sunday morning wasn’t that bad, but we got pounded overnight with snow. At some point on Sunday, I drove to a local minimall to pick Jon up as he was freezing while walking home from a friend’s house. It had been +6 Celsius the previous day when he left and his shirt-jack was not up to the task. Plus he had no gloves … in the day of the Internet how is it possible to be uninformed about the weather :-)

As I left the house, I saw the extent of the snow for the first time. Drifts almost two feet high, a huge pile of snow at the end of the driveway from the plow. The usual mess.

Our friendly neighborhood rabbit had paid the usual visit to the front step of my porch … I tend to leave the ferns sticking out of the snow until spring and I suspect that he finds the odd useful morsel there. Else he would not be frequenting the area.

Since there has been a sidewalk there the previous day, its absence was a harbinger of things to come.

I walked through that mess and found that the driveway has also disappeared :-)

That big pile of snow at the end of the driveway looks formidable, but of course the AWD of the CR-V does not really have any problems with such things.

The street view shows you how high this bank was. Not that bad … about up to the spare tire. But it was not made of ice, and that was why I felt I could blow through it as I did last time.

I appear to have forgotten to capture the bank after I blew through it … oops. But here is my driveway fully exposed. There was a bit of ice along the edges as this was the very first time I started my snow blower this year. I tried to make the whole year without clearing snow, but mother nature conspired against me. By the way, my snow blower started on the second pull after adding gasoline to a dry tank. I was rather impressed.

And with the CR-V in place … looking kind of small in the space provided. Wish I could afford a hummer :-)

But then … at a buck twenty per liter, things would get out of hand pretty quickly …

I finish with a quick snap of the night time view of the new snow. I shot this from the front door as I was grabbing my cam from my jacket pocket, where it lives most of the time.

No comments: