Saturday, March 5, 2011

I may never live down the shame …

I like to read light fiction. Sometimes really light. As such, I end up reading a whole lot of novels about cops, courts, lawyers and what not. I also really like science fiction and fantasy and have devoured those in great volume. But here comes the shame … I am also apparently able to read and enjoy romance novels … <bag over head as I write the rest of this> …

I was trolling Kindle’s book store for freebees, as I have found some excellent fiction of all types there. Authors often offer the first in a series for free and then let you decide if you will buy the rest of the series. I am very much down with that and they have made plenty of money from me because of that policy. I have to say that I have probably read two dozen full-length novels in the last few months. It relaxes my mind because my job and the usual stresses of life threaten to rip it apart …

When I found Amanda Hocking’s Trylle trilogy, I was completely unaware of her as a writer and minor Internet celebrity. So I stumbled into the first book completely oblivious to what I was reading. She opens strong and stays at a pretty even keel …

When I was on the third book, my youngest and I were discussing literature and he was torturing me once more over my choice of reading material. My eldest graduated with English literature with distinction and my youngest is taking English literature honors with a minor in philosophy, so they both have very low opinions of what I choose to read. And since he was ridiculing the book with such fervor, I read him a passage in my defense. He said two things about it: the writing was actually pretty decent, and the series is a romance.

Oops … you see, I like to experience a book and not analyze it. I had no idea that this was just one step above the Harlequins that my mother used to read. <second bag on head>

I went on to Amanda’s blog today and found out that the Trylle Trilogy is her venture into Paranormal Romance … <bags still on head> …

But here’s the thing … despite being way out of the appropriate age range, and despite having testosterone in my blood … I enjoyed this series. It’s well written, I was surprised several times, and I enjoyed her take on people and magic. The girl can write.

No comments: