Tuesday, May 26, 2009

iPhone -- Death and Resurrection

My iPhone suddenly went wonky late last week, with the battery unable to hold a charge for more than a few hours ... dead by mid-afternoon unless it received another charge. I eventually called Rogers wireless to ask for a replacement and the young lady told me that it sounded like hardware but that I had to do a full restore of the software before she could send me a new one. I agreed to try that -- with no expectation of success -- and call her back today.

Well ... the phone is still holding its charge this morning, and that's with wifi on again 24/7 ... I am *really* pleased that this was just a state machine issue with the battery circuitry. Of course, it's a little disconcerting that these things are this fragile at times -- the MAC commercials make it clear that Apple can do no wrong and here they go shaking my image of the universe as we know it :-)

Anyway ... if your iPhone starts behaving really wonky, just try the backup / restore operation. You'll be very glad you did.

No comments: