Monday, May 25, 2009

Nick's year in the UK draws to a close ...

My eldest has finished his third year of his English honors degree at Leeds University in the UK and is only a few weeks away from his tour of the mainland until mid-August, when he returns to Leeds to attend a huge music festival with some of his new life-long friends. Lucky f*ck ...

Meanwhile, he and a close friend are consuming everything they can by the great poets, and he pointed me to some of his favorites by William Butler Yeats, which I though I might share on here.

A Coat

I MADE my song a coat
Covered with embroideries
Out of old mythologies
From heel to throat;
But the fools caught it,
Wore it in the world’s eyes
As though they’d wrought it.
Song, let them take it
For there’s more enterprise
In walking naked.

He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven

HAD I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

No comments: