Thursday, July 26, 2012

Disparity, how do I love thee?

Canadians have long felt put upon by the disparity in prices between Canada and the US for the same items from the same manufacturers. But it is doubly annoying when it is the same company that screws us just because of where we live.

Case in point – the Lexar Professional 16GB SDHC UHS-1 card, which runs at 400x speeds or about 60MB/s. Very impressive. And the price on Amazon.com is very reasonable at a mere $23.21.

image

But what about Amazon.ca?

image

Yeah … around 150% more. And yes, I did notice that this is an item from someone other than Amazon, but let’s face it … when I buy from the Amazon web site, I expect at least a passing attempt at parity.

Anyway, I ordered the one from the US. With shipping (which I pay either way) and import fees, I’m still miles ahead.

It’s why we all flock south of the border to shop …