Sunday, November 1, 2009

EveryTrail for iPhone

When I last went to Gatineau Park, I looked around for a GPS map for my iPhone and found the EveryTrail site. This application allows you to track your trip, whatver it is, to almost any level of accuracy -- the caveat being that high accuracy equals high battery drain.

I used it during the Pink Lake walk ... and somehow screwed it up. I think I used a feature that required a constant link to the Internet, which of course I did not have.

But now I have 3G on my phone in test mode (free for a month), so I thought I'd check it out again. I turned it on while sitting in the Broadway restaurant at the end of our breakfast (Jon was there with me but Nick begged off, ostensibly to read Hamlet.) I also captured an image with the iPhone, which EveryTrail can use directly on the site as a visual waypoint. Very cool ...

Once completed, you can save the trip as a draft, to be uploaded later, or you can upload directly to the EveryTrail site. I did the latter and it sent me an email (which you specify when you register on their site for free) containing a link to the trip.

The site provides a direct link to twitter and Facebook, and also a field that you can copy to embed the trip or the slide show, both of which I embed here:

Test: Broadway to WalMart to Home at EveryTrail

Map created by EveryTrail: GPS Trail Maps

Test: Broadway to WalMart to Home

Widget powered by EveryTrail: GPS Community

I find the site and the application quote easy to use and recommend you experiment with it to see how useful it is for you ...

1 comment:

crazy football mom said...

Kim...do you see a strong resemblance (face-wise) between Jon and Alex? Especially the mouth. Maybe it's just me...