Sunday, November 22, 2009

We live in a depressing world ...

Ok ... I'm not that kind of blogger. The kind who learns everything there is to know about a subject and then spouts off about it and gets quoted all over the Internet. I'm the other kind ... the kind who just likes to use the blog as a place to remember stuff, pass along kudos when deserved, crap on those who deserve it from as high as possible, and ultimately just journal my life ... such as it is :-)

So once in a while I read something on the net that simply depresses me. Of course, it is easy to find massive injustice, war, strife, murder, mayhem ... this is happening all the time. If you are unable to filter such things out day to day, then you are in for a very rough ride.

But I'm a serious geek, who likes to believe that the companies who provide our life blood these days -- which of course includes mainly access to bandwidth and wireless services -- are going to be satisfied with staggering profits followed by inevitable eroding of margin for bandwidth etc. I recently upgraded to a faster Internet pipe with bigger bandwidth caps for $30 less than it cost a month ago. Seems like a deal to me ...

But my new Internet is in fact no faster than my old Internet access was ... so now I start the investigation into exactly what I am actually getting for my money. Note ... the following rather pathetic showing is on my new 18M down 1M up service ...



This is when I stumble int dslreports.com ... and their news and forums. And an article about the 700mhz auction, which Google likes to say they helped make better by forcing provisions for a more open spectrum or something like that ... and dslreports pokes a nice, great big hole into that theory (Google was basically a fart in the wind in these proceedings) ... the dominant players, Verizon and AT&T got all the licenses and shall continue making astounding profits in voice services, despite the fact that those services are no longer needed in an Internet world.

Anyway .... have a read ... poke around in the site if you want to get a little depressed that geekdom gets better, but costs seem to rise too ... how do they do that? Well ... go take a look.

Edit: Well, at least Rogers appears to be giving me what I paid for ...

No comments: