Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sometimes you just want to take a baseball bat to your own head :-)

I am using Linux as a dev environment for the first time. This takes some getting used to and I somehow closed my menu and tool bars, leaving this ridiculous and essentially useless layout:

image

No menus and no toolbar. And do you think there is a single article out there telling me the magic incantation to restore them? Not that I can find. All the articles seem to start with “Select menu Window –> Preferences” … well, excatly how do I do that?

Then there is this answer to a related question …

image

Not only do I not have the “lozenge” button at the top right, there are literally no buttons anywhere. The whole area just vanished. What a massive waste of time and energy …

Update: And after 20 minutes I noticed that the menu bar is part of the window manager’s header for the active application, something you completely forget after years of Windows only usage. Duh … pass the bat as my head needs a little shake up …