Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hmmm … Rogers’ technology still satisfies …

My laptop gets this speed on our new 45Mbps link …

And my son gets this speed … (he is connected over wire) …

But strangely, my honkin’ big monster machine gets this lousy speed …

I’ll be looking for the source of the throttle on my machine. But how can one complain otherwise? I may find their business practices a little sleazy with the shifting landscape problem, etc, but I am still their customer after lo these many years for this exact reason … you get a pretty big bang, unfortunately for a pretty big buck :-) … or is that :-(

Update: After searching the web for a solution to the throttling, I came across the fact that Windows 8 has the correct driver for the Linksys WMP600N dual band adapter, but there was a recent update by the chip provider, Ralink, that managed to shut off the 5ghz band, leaving the performance of this adapter at decade-old levels. Booo …

Anyway, the solution is simple enough … perform the “update driver” command in the properties for the adapter, then select “choose from existing drivers on this machine” and choose the Microsoft dual band driver. And viola …

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about Smile