Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Michael Ondaatje -- In the Skin of a Lion -- Book Review

Wow. Tough read. Typical of Ondaatje, who is a modernist I am told (by my too-clever sons, both of whom are in honors English programs.) Anyway, he darts back and forth in time, weaving a complex tale of love and incredible hardship (physical and mental.) You might remember the time shifting from one of his more famous books (or the movie) -- The English Patient.

I read the first part very quickly, and ended up being interrupted as I reached the last chapter. I actually sat on it for a week, not quite sure I wanted to know how it ended. But it was worth the wait.

If you've ever been the victim of unrequited affection or love, then this book is for you. It will rip your heart out at times ... all the more reason to read it of course. The brutality of the surroundings and the immigrants' daily lives will take your breath away. And yet there is joy to be found here too.

I love this book. My youngest has read it a half dozen times. What are you waiting for?

No comments: