Friday, October 23, 2009

Windows 7 Begins ...

Edited: Knee-jerk reaction toned down considerably because I have decided that the confusion was probably a combination of Future Shop and Microsoft and wishful thinking ...

I installed Windows Vista 64 Ultimate way back when and have been pretty happy with it overall. But when Microsoft offered Windows 7 at half price for a limited time, I bit. I bought two licenses of Home Premium for the boys, and one of Professional for me. This was indicated on the Future Shop site as the right one to upgrade to from Ultimate. I believe I confirmed this at the time on the Microsoft site.

The first thing they do is suggest you download and install the compatibility checker. When I ran it, I found that I had to deinstall 4 programs before proceeding.


And then I was forced to reboot and I allowed the install to run from the DVD. When I said "upgrade" it forced me to reboot again and run from the disk's installation because I wanted to upgrade.

And when I did that ... BOOM!


Really, really annoying ... I wrote a very harsh version of this post right after that. I toned it down because there is a much better method for installing Windows 7 and cleaning up your program space anyway ... presume that you don't mind reinstalling all your applications. If that really bothers you, then you should look into how you maintain and back up your expensive software ...

No comments: