Sunday, April 11, 2010

HS10 – Not quite what people thought it would be …

I already blogged on this topic, and my conclusion from a review of Fuji’s own sample images was that the image quality was pretty poor. The cam is still stunningly popular on the Fuji forum at DPReview, but in some ways that’s just because so few people have them. ;-)

Some people are supporting the camera quite heavily, but of those, only a few actually have one and at least one is a rather vocal incompetent … oh well, nothing has really changed since I left on that score.

So the real point of this post is that there is an excellent summary of the sorts of issues you will run into if you buy this camera - written by one of the first owners, who has now sent the camera back.

Fuji’s choice to adopt Sony’s BiCMOS sensor was probably a financial one … and my guess is that they’ll sell a bucket of these cams, at least in relative terms. Relative to their normal lackluster sales.

But, at the same time, they did little to stem the serious image quality issues of that sensor, noticed by many people way back last summer. I blogged some of those right here. And now we see the same sensor in Fuji’s new flagship bridge camera. *shudder*

Fuji are going to rapidly lose their place in the hearts of enthusiasts if they don’t at least prioritize image quality and Fuji colors, their traditional strengths. Usability would be nice too … at least where write speeds for RAW images are concerned. They went from pretty good in the Sx00 series of cams to pretty awful in this cam. And on and on … AA batteries … WTF were they thinking?

Anyway, read it all here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't agree on some comments made there ;)

A good NiMH battery can outrun the Lithium Battery and costs less on the long run.

For the heating I found it common in most of the Fuji cameras from my old S5100 to F70, they do get little hot when shooting continuously.

For those who don't mind shooting in RAW it would be interesting to see how good the images can be processed to :)

Unknown said...

I am bit ambivalent now.
Dave's test showed better color than most I have seen there, Nikon's poppies were superb really tho not the palette I would choose and he is returning his camera anyway.
As to the AA's, I actually like them but I've a pile of eneloops so that really takes the pain out ;)
More and more I am glad I got the F200...it may be the last of the EXR's with decent IQ (along with the F70 that is)

Kim Letkeman said...

Archish: Eneloops do work very well, but they are quite heavy and take up more space. I still prefer a decent Lithium battery as used in cams like my D300, which shares a battery with the D700. As for heating, I agree. Not that big a deal. But still, better without that, especially in a cam that invites shooting of concerts with HD video. The RAW images will be much better than the jpegs because external NR can be controlled. *But* ... no one can shoot RAW consistently with those shot to shot times. Thus, it is not a useful feature except for the small percentage of landscape photographers who plan things like a pro. And they should be using dSLRs.

Kim Letkeman said...

Lili: From what I have seen, the HS10 looks decent with close up photography, but not so good with anything encompassing more scope. Anything in the distance gets turned to mush, which is expected on sensors of that size. I can't comment in general on color, but I can see enough poor exposures to consider it too bad they chose this sensor instead of developing an EXR sensor for that cam. Eneloops are great ... I use them in all my flashes ... but they are bulky and heavy when compared with a good Lithium battery. I finally shot a series in great light and should be able later in the day to render an opinion on this last bastion for the F80. If the F70 equals or bests it, then I cannot think of anyone who should buy one, which is really too bad as they have definitely improved the ergonomics and performance on the F80.

Unknown said...

Kim, exposure is the single biggest issue with most the the samples I've seen.
Even with my F200 I always do PP to get the best out of it.
What is very pleasant is the EXR jpegs are quite easy to work with andgive very very good results.
It may be that most users are on a learning curve.
I agree with the old axiom that the larger ones subject the larger format one should use. True in film and true in digital.
The flip side is the so-so-camera you have with you beats the daylights out of the awesome camera you had to leave behind.
But of course the HS10 while pretty small for bridge has about the same footprint as my Oly e410.
Of course there is no 24-720mm-e lens for said Oly.
You pays your money and takes your chances.
Rather like I did with beloved S6000.
BTW the RAW write times on the new Fuji, while worse than the S100/200 are just a touch better than the S6000 with type H XD cards.
Is the Glass half full?

Kim Letkeman said...

Lili: As I mention in most of my posts, the HS10 is probably a great deal of fun. And part of that fun is that you might just keep it in your car and have it always available. The super long lens means that you would not even have to leave your car half the time. The RAW write times would be fatally bad for me ... people report 4 to 5 seconds shot to shot and I cannot hack that at all. But for shooting for fun, jpeg is all one really needs anyway. I am still a fan of the F70 as the carry everywhere cam. 300mm is a lot ... 700mm is just silly :-)