Sunday, January 1, 2012

Anne McCaffrey – Rest in Peace

Yikes … I am so out of the loop. I was stunned today to notice that one of my favorite authors passed away at the age of 85 on 22 November 2011 … over a month ago! Clearly, she did not get the respect she deserved from the main stream press, but such is life I suppose for the science fiction and fantasy writers of the world.

She was, of course, world renown for the Dragonriders of Pern series, which I have just blasted through from start (Dragon Flight) to finish (Dragon’s Eye) in less than a month. I believe that this was my 5th reading of the series, which I started acquiring when I was a teenager. Excellent books, all. The follow on books by Anne and her son Todd are also excellent.

The Ship Who Sang is another very famous book that is apparently still capable of tear jerking almost anyone. I’ve enjoyed many of her books and I plan to go back through the Crystal Singer trilogy soon again.

I can say that she has given me hundreds of hours of relaxing and engaging reading … would that all authors were that productive at the high quality she managed to achieve.

May she rest in peace.