Friday, July 31, 2009

Tech-f--king-nology really pisses me off sometimes!

Put my new hard drive in, didn't even take all that long since I own this fantastic case that allows front panel access using rails to pull the disk out without opening the case.

But ... when powered up this drive reports 32MB ... that's a lot smaller than the 1TB I purchased. Turns out that this is a common problem and is caused by some form of really poorly explained corruption.

There is a wonderful free utility that will fix it in 10 seconds, but runs only on 32 bit Vista (what is it with developers who are too lazy to compile and test on 64 bit?).

So I've now wasted an hour fucking around with this piece of crap and will end up driving it in tomorrow and getting them to swap me a new one or whatever. Big f--king pain in the ass.

Sometimes I feel like taking a baseball bat to all this expensive sh-t ...

And that rant didn't even make me feel better ... wish I was a drinker ...

Update: Decided to install the 500GB drive that was slated for Jon's machine (warranty replacement from Seagate for my old main drive) ... and it comes up just fine. So I have decided to take the new 1TB drive back for a refund. Saves me some money, which compensates a bit for tonight's pain. I wanted a longer term solution, but WTF ...

Update in 2011: I've upgraded the drives yet again and in the end there is no substitute for a modern BIOS. I've happily run 1TB green drives and I've now added a 2TB green drive for my images drive. I may grab a 3TB green drive for my primary backup at some point. Meanwhile, the cost of these things keeps dropping and the continue to get faster ... 6GB/s is pretty smokin' ...